Home Maps /Directions Contact
Welcome to Polk County Public Works Department!
5885 N.E. 14th Street
Des Moines, IA 50313
Home dividerMBServices dividerMBSpecial Projects dividerMBReport a Problem dividerMBFAQ'S dividerMBForms/Info dividerMBLinks dividerMBContact Us


Polk County provides services to low income homeowners and renters residing in Polk County. (Including all cities within Polk County). These services include conducting a complete energy audit. Some common weatherization services include:

Families living in the City of Des Moines with incomes at or below 150% of the poverty level who have high energy costs should apply for assistance at the Des Moines Community Action Agency, 1616 6th Avenue (248-6216).  The families living outside of the city of Des Moines should apply for assistance through the Red Rock Community Action Agency’s Polk County Center (965-0433) or the West Des Moines Human Services Office (222-3660).

An eligibility priority list, complied from applications, is sent to Polk County each year from the State of Iowa. This list indicates where Weatherization staff should provide assistance based on the energy usage of eligible applicants. Services are provided to families based on their position on the priority list. Families living in rental households must have the landlord agree to replace furnaces and water heaters deemed unsafe. If they are unwilling to pay for the replacement the family can not receive assistance.

Contact one of the above listed offices for more information.

Top of Page | Public Works Home | Polk County Home | Contact Us | Disclaimer
© 2012 Polk County Government