Home Maps /Directions Contact
Welcome to Community, Family & Youth Services Website!
  • Youth Services Division
  • Phone: 515-286-3344
  • Community & Family Division
  • Phone: 515-286-3434
Home dividerMBAbout Us dividerMBServices/Programs dividerMBCommunity Opportunities dividerMBCalendar dividerMBNews dividerMBForms & Info dividerMBFAQs dividerMBLinks dividerMBContacts

General Assistance Program

General Assistance provides temporary assistance with basic and special needs to eligible Polk County residents. Individuals and families who are at risk due to a temporary crisis and/or a mental or physical incapacity and who meet income guidelines may be assisted.

What services can you benefit from?

The General Assistance office provides the following services:

Are you eligible?

We assess an applicant’s eligibility mainly based on: Call us at 286-2088 to find out more about our services. Or visit us, and a Social Worker will help you determine your eligibility and/or help you seek additional resources. Veterans, please contact Veteran Affairs @ 515.286.3670.

How do you apply?

The first step in any application is to present a valid picture I.D., social security card and verification of all household income and expenses in the last 30 days.

Application Requirement
For Rent Landlord statement properly completed
For Utilities Assistance
  • Disconnect notice
  • 12-month billing and payment history from utility company
For Other Services
  • Statement of cost from vendor of needed service/items
  • Agreement from vendor to accept payment voucher

To apply for financial assistance with a funeral, call 286-2088 for detailed information. For information on property tax programs, call 286-3133.

How to contact us?

Polk County Department of Community, Family and Youth Services

General Assistance
2309 Euclid Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50310
Telephone: (515) 286-2088

Open Hours: 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Monday - Friday

Top of Page | Community, Family & Youth Services Home | Polk County Home | Contact Us | Disclaimer
© 2012 Polk County Government