Things To Do
Welcome to the Polk County Health Department
1907 Carpenter Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50314
DRUGS OF ABUSE TESTING
Let us help you reduce your liability risks and in maintaining a drug free workplace.
Polk County Health Department follows National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) testing levels.
What we provide:
Drugs of Abuse testing services
for clients ages 12 and over.
Quantitatively advanced screening technology
- We detect drug metabolites in urine samples by the 12-panel Rapid all-inclusive drug screen test.
On-site monitored collection
- Trained medical technologists semi-observe the collection of the urine samples from the clients in private restrooms.
Sample tampering controls
- Urine samples can be checked for specific gravity, temperature, color, pH, and other adulteration substances at the time of the collection of the sample. If any of these parameters are abnormal, the specimen is declared unsatisfactory and another sample is requested.
Results available in 24-48 hours.
Follow chain of custody guidelines
- Sample integrity is maintained throughout the testing process.
Confirmation of positive screens
- All positive screens must be confirmed by alternate method through Polk County Health Department Reference laboratory for an additional cost.
Expedient reliable services
on a pre-scheduled, walk-in, or on site basis.
Adult clients are reminded to have a picture ID with them every time they drop.
Clients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or their caseworker and have photo identification.
Cocaine (“crack”, “snow”)
Amphetamines/Methamphetamines (“meth”, “crank”)
Opiates (morphine, codeine)
PCP (phencyclidine, “angel dust”)
Fees you can afford:
Please call for pricing (see contact information, below)
CLIA Certified Laboratory
Overseen by a Licensed Pathologist
Degreed medical laboratory technologists (American Society of Clinical pathology) ASCP
Extensive long-term background in analyzing drugs of abuse
Hours of collection are 9:00 am - 4:00 pm - Mon, Wed, Thur and Fri, and 9:00 am to 6:00 pm on Tues.
For more information about Laboratory Services Contact:
286-3774 (Main lab)
Top of Page
Health Department Home
Polk County Home
© 2012 Polk County Government